"Safe Expo" Hygiene Concept
"Safe Expo" is for the protection of all participants – exhibitors, visitors, organisers and service personnel – at events taking place at Leipziger Messe locations.
According to the latest Corona Protection Ordinance (Sächsisch Corona-Schutz-Verordnung - in German only) issued by the State Government of Saxony, there are no longer any restrictions. However, this may vary depending on the event. Please check the event website for details on the regulations. Leipziger Messe works with its own tried and tested "Safe Expo" (PDF, 196 kB) hygiene concept. We remain in regular contact with the authorities.
Travel Requirements for Entry to Germany
In general, participants in trade fairs and congresses may enter Germany from abroad and obtain a visa as necessary.
There are no entry restrictions for participants from EU countries.
Participants entering from countries outside the EU* who are not vaccinated with a WHO-approved vaccine are required to show proof of trade fair participation.
* This requirement likewise does not apply to participants from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
Note: Documents will be accepted in German, English, Spanish, Italian or French.
When entering the country, please be aware of the following:
- Exhibitors and visitors entering from countries outside the EU** who are not vaccinated with a WHO-approved vaccine are required to show proof of trade fair participation.
- The federal government no longer classifies any countries as COVID-19 high-risk areas. As a result, there is no longer any obligation to quarantine or register when entering the country from high-risk areas.
- Some airlines have individual requirements.
- A quarantine is required when entering from a so-called area of variant of concern.
- Only individuals who have been fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved vaccine (Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna, Janssen, Novavax, Sinova, Sinopharm, Coronavac, Covaxin and Convidecia; last updated June 2022) are considered vaccinated.
* Documents will be accepted in German, English, Spanish, Italian or French
** EU as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
When using local public transport travelers all over Germany have to wear a mask.
In general, there are no longer any requirements for trade fairs, congresses and events. However, this may vary depending on the event. Please refer to the respective website for your event to find detailed information on which regulations apply.
- If possible, keep a minimum distance of 1.5 metres.
- Avoid grouping
- It is recommended to wear a mouth-nose covering whenever minimum distances are not observed
- Use the federal government's Corona-Warn-App
Please refrain from attending the event if you have any symptoms of illness.
Construction and Disassembly
The current occupational safety ordinance "SARS-CoV-2-Arbeitsschutzverordnung" (in German only) and the Leipziger Messe "Safe Expo" (PDF, 196 kB) hygiene concept are binding for stand construction companies and all other businesses providing event services. Please note that it is the responsibility of exhibitors to ensure that the hygiene and protection regulations are observed at their stand.
It is recommended to wear an FFP2 mask in indoor areas and in any outdoor areas where the minimum distance cannot be maintained.
It is recommended to keep a minimum distance of 1.5 metres.
On the Grounds of the Leipziger Messe
- Hand disinfectant dispensers are located throughout the grounds of the Leipziger Messe, both in the entrance and exit areas and in front of the sanitary facilities.
- Bathrooms, contact surfaces and objects are cleaned and disinfected with increased frequency during events. The cleaning is regularly quality controlled.
- Contactless payment is possible in many areas, including trade fair restaurants and bistros. Most checkouts are equipped with EC/credit card terminals.
- The buildings are fitted with very efficient ventilation systems. These are being operated with an increased volume of outside air. This enables the continuous exchange of air in the exhibition halls.
- Employees receive regular training. All of them have undergone a risk assessment based on SARS-CoV-2 occupational safety standards and respective measures have been put in place.
- We of course continuously monitor the implementation of the measures.
- Exhibitors can find more detailed information on stand construction and stand catering here.
While Participating in Events
- We use floor markings and directional signage systems to ensure compliance with social distancing regulations and avoid bunching in queues. They are particularly prominent at service points (ticket offices, cloakrooms, catering areas) and in the entrance areas.
- To comply with social distancing regulations we have separate entrance and exit areas. The main aisles at trade fairs have been widened.
- The number of people using the lifts at any one time is restricted.
- In the sanitary facilities, paper towels are provided and disinfectant dispensers are available.
- We will draw attention to all measures at the exhibition centre with the necessary frequency and in a suitable form (including posters, notices, flyers, loudspeaker announcements).
- Please remember that anyone suspected of having COVID-19 will unfortunately not be permitted to enter.
We recommend using the Federal Government's Corona-Warn-App.
Registering for a Trade Fair or Event
- Please read our information in advance. Before the start of the event, we will inform all visitors, exhibitors and service providers about the required hygiene measures and any necessary restrictions on the number of participants.
- Visitors can only buy tickets online in advance via our ticket shop. This avoids long waiting times at the ticket offices. Where necessary, tickets will be issued on-site at an allocated time to avoid breaching social distancing rules.
Arrival and Departure
- Transport companies are made aware of events in advance to help them plan schedules and vehicle deployment.
- We remain in close contact with the public transport system regarding routing between stops and entrance areas.
- If you arrive by car, please make sure you have the correct change for the parking fee.
Catering at the Trade Fair
- The current Corona Protection Ordinance also applies to restaurants, bistros and catering services on the exhibition grounds.
- Separate hygiene concepts will be drawn up in accordance with the specific regulations for catering services. We are following solutions currently used in the catering industry (in German only).
- Physical separation within catering facilities, as well as the availability of takeaway options, ensure our compliance with the applicable rules.
- Service staff all wear mouth and nose coverings. Serving areas are equipped with transparent partition walls made of glass or plastic.
- Disinfection sprays are also provided in the catering area.
- The Leipziger Messe GmbH technical guidelines (PDF, 755 kB) remain unchanged.
- Exhibitors can find more information on catering here.
Our Recommendation During Stand Construction
- A minimum distance of 1.5 metres should be maintained between any two people at the stand. (In our experience, the use of floor markings is helpful for this.)
- To ensure adequate ventilation, we recommend that you avoid the use of enclosed areas, closed ceilings, doors and door handles.
- We suggest regular cleaning of contact surfaces. Devices with touch screens should be disinfected after every use.
- Please provide hand disinfectant at your stand.
The current occupational safety ordinance "SARS-CoV-2-Arbeitsschutzverordnung" (in German only) and the Leipziger Messe "Safe Expo" hygiene concept (PDF, 196 kB) are binding for stand construction companies and all other businesses providing event services. Please note that it is the exhibitors' responsibility to ensure that the hygiene and protection regulations are observed at their stand.
The Leipziger Messe GmbH technical guidelines (PDF, 755 kB) remain unchanged.
Our Recommendations for Stand Catering
- Food and drinks should only be served by trained service or buffet staff.
- Transparent protective screens can protect your staff when serving food and drinks.
- Clean contact surfaces as far as possible after each changeover of guests (e.g. chairs, tables, menus).
- Make sure prepackaged single portions are available for self-service: milk, sugar, stirrers, cutlery, napkins, biscuits etc.
- Only offer prepackaged foods as far as possible.
- Prioritise the use of disposable crockery and cutlery.
Please note that it is the responsibility of exhibitors to ensure that the hygiene and protection regulations are observed at their stand.
The Leipziger Messe GmbH technical guidelines (PDF, 755 kB) remain unchanged.
fairgourmet will gladly advise you on all measures. Reusable crockery and cutlery including a dishwashing service can be ordered through them: www.fairgourmet.de
You can find questions and answers on our "Safe Expo" hygiene concept and how to safely organise events at Leipziger Messe in the FAQs:
- Saxon state government's Corona Protection Ordinance (Corona-Schutz-Verordnung der sächsischen Staatsregierung - in German only)
- Saxon State Government www.coronavirus.sachsen.de/infektionsfaelle-in-sachsen-4151.html (in German only)
- World Health Organisation: www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19
- Robert Koch Institute: www.rki.de
- Federal Ministry of Health: www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de
- Corona - Saxon State Government: www.coronavirus.sachsen.de
- AUMA - Association of the German Trade Fair Industry: www.auma.de/de/medien/meldungen/corona-virus
Last updated: June 2022